The Alvis Leonides Major Aircraft Engine
Alvis designed the Leonides Major 14 cylinder twin row radial engine in the early 1950's based on their existing 9 cylinder engine. The engine sold in both aircraft and helicopter variants, most Alvis Leonides Major engines produced were for use in the Westland Whirlwind helicopter, these were direct-drive de-rated engines fitted with a fan for cooling as pictured below.
Fixed wing aircraft and helicopters that were powered by the Alvis Leonides Major
|Westland Whirlwind helicopter||Bristol Type 173 Mk1 & 2 helicopter|
|Handley Page Herald prototype airliner||Handley Page H.P.R.1 Marathon transport aircraft|
| || |
Alvis Leonides Major (fixed wing) Specifications:
- Type: 14-cylinder, twin-row air-cooled supercharged radial piston engine
- Bore: 4.80in (122 mm)
- Stroke: 4.41 in (112 mm)
- Displacement: 1,117 cu in (18.34 L)
- Length: 70.9 in (1.80 m)
- Diameter: 38.9 in
- Width: 988 mm
- Dry weight: (dry) 1,200 lb (545 kg)
- Valve-train: 2 sodium cooled valves per cylinder
- Supercharger: Single speed, single stage
- Fuel system: Fuel injection, low pressure via Hobson or SU pump. 2 plugs per cylinder, twin BTH C.14.C/1 magnetos
- Fuel type: 100/130 octane
- Oil system: Dry sump, pressure and scavenge pumps
- Cooling system: Air-cooled
- Reduction gear: Epicyclical, ratio 0.533:1
- Power output: 860 hp (642 kW) at 1,500 ft (457 m)
- Compression ratio: 6.8:1
- Fuel consumption: (at maximum continuous power) 60 Imp. gal/h (273 L/h)
- Oil consumption: 6-12 pint/h (3.4-6.8 L/h)
Terms & Limitations of the Alvis Leonides Major Picture use
This picture of a Alvis Leonides Major is Copyright � June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Alvis Leonides Major picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Alvis Leonides Major picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Alvis Leonides Major Aircraft Engine picture and Specifications