The Pratt Whitney J-58 Aircraft Engine
The Pratt Whitney J-58 was a single-spool hybrid turbojet engine with an afterburner which also functioned as a fan-assisted ramjet. The Pratt Whitney J-58 first ran in 1958 and was the first jet engine to be flight-qualified by the USAF for Mach 3. The J-58 featured variable-geometry inlets to ensure air flow into the compressor was always subsonic. The engine had to use JP-7 high flash point and therefore required triethylborane (TEB), which spontaneously combusts in air, to be injected into the engine to start it and also to ignite the afterburner.
The high temperature the J-58 could reach at full power required a silicone oil which had the viscosity of grease at ambient temperatures, the engine had to be pre-heated before starting in order to reduce the lubricants viscosity to that of conventional oil.
Pratt Whitney J58-P4 Specifications:
- Type: afterburning variable cycle hybrid turbojet/ramjet
- Length: 17 ft 10 in (5.44 m) (18 ft 4 in (5.59 m at maximum operating temperature)
- Diameter: 4 ft 9 in (1.45 m)
- Dry weight: approx. 6,000 lb (2,700 kg)
- Compressor: 9-stage, axial flow, single spool
- Combustors: 8 can, annular
- Turbine: two-stage axial flow
- Fuel type: JP-7 high flash point fuel
- Maximum thrust: 34,000 pounds-force (150 kN) (wet), 25,000 pounds-force (110 kN) (dry)
- Overall pressure ratio: 6
- Specific fuel consumption: 1.9 lb/(lbf-h) (wet), 0.9 lb/(lbf-h) (dry)
- Thrust-to-weight ratio: approx. 6
- Core air flow: 450 lb/s, (200 kg/s)
Pratt & Whitney J-58 Jet Engine
Terms & Limitations of the Pratt Whitney J-58 Picture use
This picture of a Pratt Whitney J-58 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Pratt Whitney J-58 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Pratt Whitney J-58 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Pratt Whitney J-58 Aircraft Engine picture and Specifications