Convair B-58a Hustler Bomber Plane
The Convair B-58A Hustler was a three-seat medium-range supersonic nuclear strategic bomber of exceptional performance which first flew in November 1956. The first B-58A Hustler aircraft was delivered in march 1960, eventually a total of eighty six production B-58A Hustlers entered operational service with the USAF's Strategic Air Command. The Convair Hustler remained in USAF service until January 1970 when, controversially, they were replaced by the FB-111A 'Aardvark'.
It is of note that the Convair Hustler was the first US supersonic bomber and in consequence had three totally separated individual escape capsule cockpits instead of ejector seats, each of the three crew was entombed in their own individual escape capsule, these had been designed to protect the crewmembers against the rigors of a Mach 2 ejection.
Convair B-58A Hustler Armament:
- Guns: Radar-directed tail turret mounted M61 20mm Vulcan cannon
- Bombs: Initially a single nuclear weapon in a streamlined MB-1C fuselage mounted pod and later four under-wing B-43 or B61 nuclear bombs
|Convair B-58A Hustler Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot, observer-bombardier and defence system operator
- Length: 96 ft 9 in (29.5 m)
- Wingspan: 56 ft 9 in (17.3 m)
- Height: 29 ft 11 in (8.9 m)
- Empty weight: 55,560 lb (25,200 kg) Max takeoff weight: 176,890 lb (80,240 kg)
- Engines: Four 15,600 lbf (69.3 kn) General Electric J79-GE-5A turbojets
- Maximum speed: 1,600 mph (2,600 km/h) at 40,000 ft (12,000 m)
- Cruise speed: 610 mph (985 km/h)
- Combat radius: 1,740 mi (3,220 km)
- Service ceiling: 63,400 ft (19,300 m)
- Rate of climb: 2,700 ft/min (13.7 m/s)
Convair B-58a Hustler
Terms & Limitations of Convair B-58a Hustler Picture use
These pictures of a Convair B-58a have been digitally re-mastered from USAF pictures and they should be credited wherever they are used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Convair B-58a Hustler Bomber Plane Picture and Information