Ilyushin Il-28 Bomber Plane
The Ilyushin Il-28 was a Medium bomber designed in early 1948 for the Soviet Air Force, it was introduced into service during 1950 and was given the NATO reporting name "Beagle", it remained in active service until the 1980's with the Soviet Air Force. A total of 6,316 Ilyushin Il-28 bombers were built in the USSR and additional 400+ aircraft were produced under licence in China by Harbin Aircraft Factory as the Harbin H-5. Many Ilyushin Il-28 aircraft remain in active service with ex Soviet block countries and their allies. It is of note that a training variant, the Ilyushin Il-28U, was also produced and given the NATO reporting name "Mascot".
Ilyushin Il-28 Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot, Bombardier, Gunner
- Length: 17.60 m (57 ft 9 in)
- Wingspan: 21.50 m (70 ft 6 in)
- Height: 6.70 m (22 ft 0 in)
- Wing area: 60.8 m² (654 ft²)
- Empty weight: 11,890 kg (26,210 lb)
- Loaded weight: 17,700 kg (39,000 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 21,200 kg (46,700 lb)
- Engines: Twin 26.5 kN (5,955 lbf) Klimov VK-1 turbojets
- Maximum speed: 900 km/h (486 kt, 560 mph)
- Range: 2,180 km (1,177 nm, 1,350 miles)
- Service ceiling: 12,300 m (40,400 ft)
- Rate of climb: 900 m/min (2,950 ft/min)
Ilyushin Il-28 SArmament:
- Four Nudelman NR-23 cannon mounted in the nose and tail
- 3,000 kg (6,600 lb) of internally carried bombs
Terms & Limitations of Ilyushin Il-28 Picture use
This picture of a Ilyushin Il-28 has been digitally re-mastered from a picture kindly placed in the public domain by Radomił Bine. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Ilyushin Il-28 Bomber Plane Picture and Information