North American A-5 Vigilante Bomber Plane
The North American A-5 Vigilante was built between 1956 and 1970, it was an aircraft carrier based agile supersonic nuclear bomber designed and built for the US Navy, a total of 158 aircraft being produced, it remained in service until early 1980. The change in policy towards a submarine launched ballistic missiles determent resulted in conversion of the A-5 Vigilante into a navel fast reconnaissance aircraft. It is of note that the Vigilante required high speed and a high angle of attack when landing, this made the pilots task a difficult and dangerous one on an aircraft carrier.
|North American A-5A Vigilante Specifications: |
- Crew: 2
- Length: 76 ft 6 in (23.32 m)
- Wingspan: 53 ft 0 in (16.15 m)
- Height: 19 ft 5 in (5.9 m)
- Empty weight: 32,700 lb (14,800 kg)
- Loaded weight: 47,530 lb (21,580 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 62,950 lb (28,580 kg)
- Engines: Twin 17,000 lbf (76 kN) General Electric J79-GE-8 afterburning turbojets
- Maximum speed: Mach 2.0 (1,320 mph, 2,123 km/h)
- Range: 1,290 mi (2,075 km)
- Service ceiling: 52,100 ft (15,880 m)
- Rate of climb: 8,000 ft/min (40.6 m/s)
North American A-5A Vigilante Armament:
- Single internally carried B28 or B43 nuclear gravity bomb
- Twin B43, Mark 83, or Mark 84 bombs on external hard-points
Terms & Limitations of North American A-5 Vigilante Picture use
This picture of a North American A-5 Vigilante has been digitally re-mastered from a DefenseImagery.mil picture. We only authorise non-commercial use of our content and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This North American A-5 Vigilante picture is in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) DefenseImagery.mil should be credited wherever this picture is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our own individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our copyrighted pictures and content on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
North American A-5 Vigilante Bomber Plane Picture and Information