North American B-45 Tornado Bomber Plane
The North American B-45 Tornado was an American Nuclear capable bomber which was the first US jet bomber and the first jet aircraft to be re-fuelled in-air. The B-45 Tornado first flew in March 1947 and became operational with the USAF in 1948, it remained in service until being retired in 1959. It is of note that a small number of 19th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron's RB-45C Tornado's were operated by RAF 115 and 35 Squadrons to effectively bypass the Presidential restriction placed on the USAF on Soviet Union over-flight operations.
|North American B-45A Tornado Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot, Co-Pilot, Bombardier/Navigator and Tail Gunner
- Length: 75 ft 4 in (22.9 m)
- Wingspan: 89 ft 0 in (27.1 m)
- Height: 25 ft 2 in (7.7 m)
- Empty weight: 45,694 lb (20,726 kg)
- Loaded weight: 81,418 lb (36,930 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 110,000 lb (50,000 kg)
- Engines: Four 5,200 lbf (25 kN) General Electric J47-GE-13 turbojets
- Maximum speed: 500 knots (570 mph, 920 km/h)
- Range: 870 nm (1,000 mi, 1,600 km)
- Service ceiling: 46,400 ft (14,100 m)
- Rate of climb: 5,950 ft/min (1,810 m/min)
North American B-45A Tornado Armament:
- Twin 0.50 in (12.7 mm) M3 machine guns
- 22,000 lb (10,000 kg) of conventional or nuclear bombs
Terms & Limitations of North American B-45 Tornado Picture use
This picture of a North American B-45 Tornado has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF museum picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
North American B-45 Tornado Bomber Plane Picture and Information