Northrop B-2 Spirit Bomber Plane
The Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit is an American heavy stealth bomber introduced in to USAF operational service on the 1st of January 1997. A total of twenty one aircraft were produced with an effective cost of approximately $737 million per bomber, one aircraft was damaged beyond repair in February 2008 during take off, a result of moisture in a transducer, in February 2010 a second aircraft was severely damaged by an engine fire whilst preparing for takeoff. Operationally the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber has been used in the Kosovo War and Iraq and Afghanistan.
|Northrop B-2A Spirit Specifications: |
- Crew: 2
- Length: 69 ft (21.0 m)
- Wingspan: 172 ft (52.4 m)
- Height: 17 ft (5.18 m)
- Wing area: 5,140 ft² (478 m²)
- Empty weight: 158,000 lb (71,700 kg)
- Loaded weight: 336,500 lb (152,200 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 376,000 lb (170,600 kg)
- Engines: Four 17,300 lbf (77 kN) General Electric F118-GE-100 non-afterburning turbofans
- Maximum speed: Mach 0.95 (525 knots, 604 mph, 972 km/h)
- Cruise speed: Mach 0.85 (470 knots, 541 mph, 870 km/h)
- Range: 6,000 nmi (11,100 km, 6,900 mi)
- Service ceiling: 50,000 ft (15,200 m)
Northrop B-2A Spirit Armament:
Two internal bomb bays for up to 50,000 lb (22,700 kg) of ordnance which may include the following -Eighty 500 lb class bombs (Mk-82)Thirty six 750 lb CBU class bombsSixteen 2000 lb class weapons (Mk-84, JDAM-84, JDAM-102)Sixteen B61 or B83 nuclear weapons
Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit
|Northrop B-2 Spy caught!|
In October 2005, Noshir Sheriarji Gowadia, a Northrop Grumman design engineer who had worked on the B-2's stealth propulsion system was convicted of selling classified information to the People's Republic of China and sentenced to 32 years in prison.
Terms & Limitations of Northrop B-2 Spirit Picture use
These pictures of a Northrop B-2 Spirit have been digitally re-mastered from U.S. Air Force photos.
Limitations of use:
1) The U.S. Air Force should be credited wherever this picture is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our own individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of our own pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Northrop B-2 Spirit Bomber Plane Picture and Information