AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat Helicopter
The AgustaWestland AW159, called the Lynx Wildcat in military service, is the resultant design of the 2002 Future Lynx project, the project intention was to create a replacement for the the British Army and Royal Navy's existing Lynx helicopters based on the Super Lynx 300 helicopter design. The AgustaWestland AW159 prototype Lynx Wildcat helicopter first flew in late 2009 and is expected to enter service with the British Army (40 aircraft) and Royal Navy (30) in 2014.
The Lynx Wildcat helicopter makes extensive use of composite construction in it's nose, rotor-blades, tailboom, tailplane and tail rotor. The Royal Navy's helicopter version will be equipped with an advanced SELEX Galileo Seaspray 7000E active electronically scanned array radar. It is of note that in January 2013 South Korea announced it's intention to acquire eight AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx helicopters in 2014/2015 to fulfil it's needs for a modern anti-submarine warfare and surveillance platform and also a SAR (search-and-rescue) helicopter.AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat Helicopter Specifications:
- Crew: 2 pilots
- Capacity: 7 passengers, including door gunner
- Length: 15.24 m (50 ft 0 in)
- Height: 3.73 m (12 ft 3 in)
- Max takeoff weight: 6,000 kg (13,228 lb)
- Engines: Twin 1,015 kW (1,361 hp) LHTEC CTS800-4N turbo-shafts
- Main rotor diameter: 12.8 m (42 ft 0 in)
- Maximum speed: 291 km/h (181 mph; 157 kn)
- Range: 777 km (483 mi; 420 nmi)
- Ferry range: 963 km (598 mi; 520 nmi)
- Endurance: 1 hr 30 min (4 hr 30 min with auxiliary fuel)
- Forward firing CRV7 folding-fin ground attack rockets
- Forward firing machine guns
- Pintle mounted FN MAG (Army) or Browning M2 (Navy) machine gun
- Thales Lightweight modular design Multirole Anti-Surface Missile
- Eight French Anti-Navire Léger 40kg warhead anti shipping guided missile for up to 1000 tonne targets.
- Sting Ray light-weight acoustic torpedo with a 45 kg Torpex Warhead
- Depth charges
Terms & Limitations of AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat Picture use
This picture of a AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
AgustaWestland AW159 Lynx Wildcat Helicopter Picture & Info