RAF Boeing HC Chinook Military Helicopter
The Boeing Chinook HC1 to HC6 heavy lift helicopters are the versions of the Boeing CH-47 used by the RAF since 1980, the RAF operates a total of 58 Chinooks making it the largest non-US operator. The RAF's Chinooks have played an important role in the Falkland Islands, Iraq, and Afghanistan conflicts. The pictures on this page are of HC.2 RAF Chinooks.
It is of note that during the 1982 Falkland Islands conflict five RAF Chinooks were lost due to fire following an Exocet anti-ship missile attack by an Argentine Navy Dassault Super Etendard on the container ship MV Atlantic Conveyor, all five Chinooks were lost to fire before they could be flown off from the Atlantic Conveyor's deck.
Boeing Chinook HC.2 Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot, co-pilot and one or two air loadmasters
- Length: 30.1 m (98 ft 9 in)
- Rotor diameter: 18.3 m (60 ft 0 in)
- Height: 5.7 m (18 ft 8 in)
- Empty weight: 10,185 kg (22,450 lb)
- Loaded weight: 12,100 kg (26,680 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 22,680 kg (50,000 lb)
- Engines: Twin 2,800 kW (3,750 hp) Honeywell Aerospace/Lycoming T55-GA-712 turbo-shafts
- Maximum speed: 295 km/h (183 mph)
- Service ceiling: 2,590 m (18,500 ft)
- Twin M134 Miniguns
- Single M60 machine gun
Terms & Limitations of Boeing HC Chinook Picture use
These pictures of RAF Boeing HC Chinooks are Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. These Boeing HC Chinook pictures are not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of these Boeing HC Chinook pictures, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Boeing HC Chinook Military Helicopter Picture & Information