Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion Military Helicopter
The Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion is the most powerful heavy lift helicopter in US military use. The Super Stallion is effectively a modified CH-53 Sea Stallion, an extra engine was added and an additional rotor blade. The design was a result of the 1962 U.S. Marines' "Heavy Helicopter Experimental competition", the prototype first flying at the end of 1964. After much development work and modifications the first Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion entered operational service in 1981, since then a total of 234 aircraft have been produced.
|Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion Specifications: |
- Crew: 2 pilots, 1 crew chief/right gunner, 1 left gunner, 1 tail gunner (combat crew)
- Capacity: 37 or 55 with centerline seats installed
- Payload: internal: 30,000 lb or 13,600 kg (external: 32,000 lb or 14,500 kg)
- Length: 99 ft 1/2 in (30.2 m)
- Rotor diameter: 79 ft (24 m)
- Height: 27 ft 9 in (8.46 m)
- Empty weight: 33,226 lb (15,071 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 73,500 lb (33,300 kg)
- Engines: Three 4,380 shp (3,270 kW) General Electric T64-GE-416/416A turbo-shafts
- Rotor blades: Seven on main rotor, four on tail rotor
- Maximum speed: 170 knots (196 mph, 315 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 150 kt (173 mph, 278 km/h)
- Range: 540 nmi (621 mi, 1,000 km)
- Ferry range: 990 nmi (1,139 mi, 1,833 km)
- Service ceiling: 18,500 ft (5,640 m)
- Two .50 BMG (12.7 x 99 mm) window-mounted GAU-15/A machine guns
- Single .50 BMG (12.7 x 99 mm) ramp mounted machine gun
Terms & Limitations of Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion Picture use
This Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion picture has been digitally re-mastered from an image in the USMC Picture Gallery.
Limitations of use:
1) The USMC Should be credited as the original source wherever this a picture is used.
2) For internet use, whenever information from this site is used on another URL or website, a link back to Siteseen Ltd. must be provided.
3) Use of this Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion information, or any picture of which we own the copyright, on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion Military Helicopter Picture & Info