Sikorsky MH-53M Pave Low Military Helicopter
The United States Air Force introduced the Sikorsky MH-53 Pave Low helicopter as a long-range combat search and rescue helicopter HH-3 "Jolly Green Giant". The helicopters were later modified and re-tasked to Special Operations missions. The U.S. Air Force's Sikorsky MH-53 Pave Low's were retired in September 2008 in favour of the Bell Boeing CV-22B Osprey tilt rotor aircraft. A total of 72 MH-53M'S were produced between 1967 and 1970.
|Sikorsky MH-53J Specifications: |
- Crew: 6 (two pilots, two flight engineers and two aerial gunners)
- Capacity: 37 troops to 55
- Length: 88 ft (28 m)
- Rotor diameter: 72 ft (21.9 m)
- Height: 25 ft (7.6 m)
- Empty weight: 32,000 lb (14,515 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 46,000 lb (50,000 lb in war time) (21,000 kg)
- Engines: Two 4,330 shp (3,230 kW) T64-GE-100 turbo-shafts
- Rotor system: 6 blades
- Maximum speed: 170 knots (196 mph, 315 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 150 kt (173 mph, 278 km/h)
- Range: 600 nmi (1,100 km) can be extended with in-flight refuelling
- Service ceiling: 16,000 ft (4,900 m)
- Any combination of three 7.62 mm M134 Miniguns (and/or)
- M2 .50 BMG (12.7 mm) Browning machine guns mounted on left and right sides
Terms & Limitations of Sikorsky MH-53M Pave Low Picture use
This picture of a Sikorsky MH-53M Pave Low is Copyright © airpowerworld.info 2006. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Sikorsky MH-53M Pave Low picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Sikorsky MH-53M Pave Low picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Sikorsky MH-53M Pave Low Military Helicopter Picture & Information