Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU Navy Helicopter
The Westland Lynx is a multi-purpose military helicopter with a side by side cockpit for pilot and observer which can loop and roll, unusual for a helicopter. The Westland Lynx first flew in March 1971 and entered military service in 1978. The Westland Lynx HMA.8 is an upgraded version on the earlier Lynx HMA maritime attack series of helicopters built for the Royal Navy and is commonly referred to as the "super Lynx", it incorporates new Gem 42-200 engines and BERP type main rotors and larger tail rotor.
The Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU have had their radios modified to SATURN standard (Second-generation, Anti-jam, Tactical, UHF, Radio, NATO) and had the new SIFF (Successor Identification Friend or Foe) system incorporated, it also has a FLIR camera (Forward looking infrared) in a turret on top of the nose and has it's radar moved to a new below nose radome.
Super Lynx Series 100 Specifications:
- Crew: 2 or 3
- Length: 15.24 m (50 ft)
- Rotor diameter: 12.80 m (42 ft)
- Height: 3.67 m (12 ft 0.5 in)
- Empty weight: 3,291 kg (7,255 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 5,330 kg (11,750 lb)
- Engines: Twin 835 kW (1,120 shp) Rolls-Royce Gem turbines
- Maximum speed: 324 km/h (201 mph)
- Range: 528 km (328 miles )
It is of note that a specially prepared Westland Lynx has held the official speed record for a helicopter at 249.1 mph (400.87 kph) since August 1986 (a speed previously said to be physically impossible for a helicopter by many aviation experts and helicopter designers).
Terms & Limitations of Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU Picture use
This picture of a Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Westland Lynx HMA.8SRU Military Helicopter Picture & Information