Westland Scout AH.1 Military Helicopter
The Westland Scout was a light military helicopter developed from the Saunders-Roe P.531, when in 1959 Westland Helicopters acquired Saunders-Roe's helicopter and hovercraft interests the P.531 was developed into the Westland Scout for army use and the Westland Wasp for navel use. The Westland Scout AH.1 was powered by a 1,050 shp Rolls-Royce Nimbus 101 engine de-rated to 685 shp and first flew in late August 1960. The British army used the Scout in various "light" roles including reconnaissance, aerial surveillance, light transport and attack roles, a number of Westland Scouts also served with the Australian, Jordanian and South African armed forces.
The Westland Scout Scout AH.1 was powered by a 1,050 shp Rolls-Royce Nimbus 101 engine de-rated to 685 shp and first flew in late August 1960. The Westland Scout AH.1 became operational with the British Army Air Corps in 1963 and remained in service until the mid 1980's with the aircraft notably serving with distinction in the 1982 Falklands campaign.
Westland Scout AH.1 Specifications:
- Crew: One or two
- Capacity: 4 or 5 passengers
- Payload: 1,500 lb (680 kg) slung load
- Length: 30 ft 4 in (9.25 m)
- Rotor diameter: 32 ft 3 in (9.83 m)
- Height: 8 ft 11 in (2.72 m)
- Empty weight: 3,232 lb (1,465 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 5,300 lb (2,405 kg)
- Engine: Derated single 685 shp (511 kW) Rolls-Royce Nimbus 101 turbo-shaft (Licence built Turbomeca Turmo)
- Maximum speed: 131 mph (114 knots, 211 km/h) at sea level
- Cruise speed: 122 mph (106 knots, 196 km/h)
- Range: 315 mi (274 nmi, 507 km)
- Service ceiling: 17,700 ft (5,400 m)
- One or two L7 GPMG machine guns
- Four SS.11 anti-tank guided missiles
Terms & Limitations of Westland Scout AH.1 Picture use
This picture of Westland Scout AH.1 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Westland Scout AH.1 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Westland Scout AH.1 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Westland Scout AH.1 Military Helicopter Picture & Information