Westland Wasp HAS Military Helicopter
The Westland Wasp HAS was a naval shipboard anti-submarine helicopter developed from the Saunders-Roe Skeeter and first flew in late October 1962, it is of note that the less successful Westland Scout built for Army use was effectively the same airframe fitted with skids rather than wheels. A total of 133 Westland Wasps were built and served with the British, New Zealand, Netherlands and Malaysian Royal Navies, the Royal Navy operated 98 Westland Wasps, the last being retired in 1988 being replaced by the Westland Lynx, and the Malaysian Royal Navy operated it's Wasps until mid 2000.
The Royal Navy used it's Westland Wasps in the Falklands war and in April 1982 Royal Navy Wasps disabled the Argentinean submarine ARA Santa Fe (ex WW2 USS Catfish) after attacking it with depth charges, a Mk 46 torpedo and AS.12 anti-ship missiles, the Santa Fe was abandoned in South Georgia and surrendered to the British.
Wasp HAS.1 Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot and Aircrew-man
- Capacity: Up to four passengers
- Length: inc rotor 40 ft 4 in (12.30 m)
- Rotor diameter: 32 ft 3 in (9.83 m)
- Height: 8 ft 11 in (2.72 m)
- Empty weight: 3,452 lb (1,569 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 5,500 lb (2,500 kg)
- Engine: Single 1,050 shp (783 kW) Rolls-Royce Nimbus 103 turbo-shaft (Licence built Turbomeca Turmo)
- Maximum speed: 120 mph (104 knots, 193 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 110 mph (96 knots, 177 km/h)
- Range: 303 miles (263 NM, 488 km)
- Service ceiling: 12,200 ft (3,720 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,440 ft/min (7.3 m/s)
- Two Mk 44 or one Mk 46 torpedo
- Two Mk 44 depth charges
- One WE.177 600lb Nuclear Depth charges
- Four SS-11 or two AS.12 missiles
- One General Purpose Machine Gun
- 4.5 inch Flares
- Smoke floats
- flame floats
Terms & Limitations of Westland Wasp HAS Picture use
This picture of a Westland Wasp HAS has been digitally re-mastered from a public domain photograph. We only authorise non-commercial picture use of our own pictures and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Westland Wasp HAS picture is in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our own individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Westland Wasp HAS Military Helicopter Picture & Information