Westland Wessex HC-2 Military Helicopter
356 Westland Wessex helicopters were produced by Westland Aircraft/Westland Helicopters between 1958 and 1970 primarily for the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. The Wessex was a licence built version of the American Sikorsky S-58, the most notable difference being the use of Twin 1,350 shp Rolls-Royce Gnome turbo-shaft engines in place of the American 1,525 hp Wright R-1820-84 radial piston engine.
The Westland Wessex HC.2 was a Westland Wessex variant built for the RAF as a troop carrier with capacity for up to 16 troops, a total of 74 entering service. The RAF was the last of the British armed forces to use the Wessex retiring it's fleet in 2003.
Westland Wessex HC.2 Specifications:
- Crew: Two pilots
- Capacity: 16 troops or 8 stretchers
- Length: 65 ft 10 in (20.07 m)
- Rotor diameter: 56 ft 0 in (17.07 m)
- Height: 15 ft 10 in (4.83 m)
- Empty weight: 8,340 lb (3,767 kg)
- Loaded weight: 13,500 lb (6,136 kg)
- Engines: Twin 1,350 shp (1,007 kW) Rolls-Royce Gnome H.1200 Mk.110/111 turbo-shafts
- Maximum speed: 132 mph (115 knots, 213 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 122 mph (106 knots, 196 km/h)
- Range: 310 mi (270 nmi, 499 km)
- Service ceiling: 12,000 ft (3,660 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,650 ft/min (8.4 m/s)
Terms & Limitations of Westland Wessex HC-2 Picture use
This picture of Westland Wessex HC-2 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Westland Wessex HC-2 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Westland Wessex HC-2 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Westland Wessex HC-2 Military Helicopter Picture & Information