Convair F-106 Delta Dart Jet Fighter Plane
The Convair F-106 Delta Dart was conceived in the early 1950's as the "Ultimate Interceptor", it was based on the existing, but problematic F-102 Delta Dagger. Initially designated the F-102B, the F-106 Delta Dart was destined to be the last single-role interceptor of the U.S. Air Force and was referred to as the "Six" by both it's pilots and maintenance crews. The Convair F-106 Delta Dart first flew on boxing day 1956 and entering operational service with the USAF in October 1959, the following month a Convair F-106 Delta Dart flown by Major Joseph W. Rogers set a world speed record of 1,525.96 mph at an altitude of 40,500 feet.
Convair F-106 Delta Dart's were to remain the primary US Air Force's all-weather interceptor until the late 1970's, by which time 340 aircraft had been built, the remaining F-106's were re-assigned to the Air National Guard having having been replaced with the F-15 in USAF operational fighter squadrons. The last of the Air National Guard's F-106 Delta Dart's were finally stood down in 1988, many ending their life converted into QF-106 target drones.
Convair F-106 Delta Dart Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 70.7 ft (21.55 m)
- Wingspan: 38.25 ft (11.67 m)
- Height: 20.28 ft (6.18 m)
- Maximum weight: 34,510 lb (15,668 kg)
- Engine: Single 24,500 lbf (108.98 kN) Pratt & Whitney J75-17 afterburning turbojet
- Maximum speed: 1,525 mph (Mach 2.32, 455 km/h)
- Combat range: 1,800 mi (2,897 km)
- Service ceiling: 57,000 ft (17,374 m)
- Rate of climb: 29,000 ft/min (8,839 m/min)
Convair F-106 Delta Dart Armament:
- Single 20 mm (.79in) M61A1 Vulcan six-barrelled cannon
- Four AIM-4 Falcon infra-red or radar guided air-to-air missiles
- Single AIR-2A Genie air-to-air nuclear missile
Terms & Limitations of Convair F-106 Delta Dart Picture use
This Convair F-106 Delta Dart picture has been digitally re-mastered from an image in the Dryden Flight Research Center's Picture Gallery.
Limitations of use:
1) The Dryden Flight Research Center Should be credited as the original source wherever this a picture is used.
2) For internet use, whenever information from this site is used on another URL or website a link back to Siteseen Ltd. must be provided.
3) Use of any picture of which we own the copyright, on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Convair F-106 Delta Dart Jet Fighter Plane Picture & Information