Dassault Mirage III Jet Fighter Plane
The Dassault Mirage was a tailless delta configuration Jet Fighter designed in France by Dassault Aviation in 1953 to meet a French government specification, the prototype first flying in June 1955. The Dassault Mirage III is an improved and modernised version of the original design utilising the more powerful SNECMA Atar afterburning turbojet and was the first production variant of the Dassault Mirage and first flew in 1956, it was the first European combat aircraft able to exceed Mach 2 in level flight and is still operational with the military forces of Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Egypt, Libya and Pakistan.
Dassault Mirage III Specification:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 15 m (49 ft 3.5 in)
- Wingspan: 8.22 m (26 ft 11 in)
- Height: 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in)
- Empty weight: 7,050 kg (15,600 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 13,500 kg (29,700 lb)
- Engine: Single SNECMA Atar 09C turbojet
- Maximum speed: Mach 2.2 (2,350 km/h, 1,460 mph)
- Range: 2,400 km (1,300 NM, 1,500 mi)
- Service ceiling: 17,000 m (56,000 ft)
Dassault Mirage III Armament:
- Twin 30 mm (1.18 in) DEFA 552 cannon
- Single centreline and four under-wing hard-points for 4,000 kg (8,800 lb) of stores
(These can include a single Matra R530 and twin AIM-9 Sidewinder or Matra Magic R550 nair-to-air missiles and general-purpose bombs, some variants can carry AM-39 Exocet anti-ship missile or French AdA IIIEs or AN-52 nuclear bomb).
Terms & Limitations of Dassault Mirage III Picture use
This picture of a Dassault Mirage III has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Dassault Mirage III Jet Fighter Plane Picture & Information