Hawker Sea Hawk Jet Fighter Plane
The Hawker Sea Hawk was developed from a land-based prototype jet interceptor, intended for the RAF however, the RAF showed little interest so Hawker converted the design into a naval jet fighter. The first prototype flew on September 2, 1947. Initially 100 Sea Hawks were ordered by the Royal Navy, a further 400 following shortly after, first entering service in 1953. Six squadrons went into action during the Suez Crisis with the carriers HMS Eagle, HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark as ground-attack aircraft.
Hawker Sea Hawk Armament:
- Four 20 mm Hispano cannons
- Two 500 lb (220 kg) bombs
- 16 rockets projectiles
Hawker Sea Hawk Specification:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 39 ft 8 in (12.09 m)
- Wingspan: 39 ft 0 in (11.89 m)
- Height: 8 ft 8 in (2.64 m)
- Empty weight: 9,278 lb (4,208 kg)
- Loaded weight: lb (kg)
- Maximum Take-Off Weight: 16,150 lb (7,325 kg)
- Engine: Rolls-Royce Nene 103 turbojet of 5,200 lbf (23.1 kN)
- Maximum speed: 600 mph (965 km/h)
- Range: 480 mi (770 km)
- Service ceiling: ft (m)
Hawker Sea Hawk Fighter
Withdrawn from first-line service
The Sea Hawk was withdrawn from first-line use in 1960. It was replaced by the Sea Vixen, and totally withdrawn from Royal Navy service in 1965.
The aircraft pictured flying on this page is maintained and flown by the Royal Navy Historic Flight based at Royal Naval Air Station at Yeovilton in England.
Terms & Limitations of Hawker Sea Hawk Picture use
This picture of Hawker Sea Hawk is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Hawker Sea Hawk picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Hawker Sea Hawk picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Hawker Sea Hawk Jet Fighter Plane Picture & Information