McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II Jet Fighter
The McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II is a simplified and 3300 pounds lighter version of the McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom built for the German Air Force (Luftwaffe). The German Air Force began replacing it's Lockheed F-104 Starfighters with the McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom jet fighter in 1973 under the "Peace Rhine" program, the aircraft were upgraded in 1983 under the "ICE" (Improved Combat Efficiency) program to extend their effective service life.
The "ICE" (Improved Combat Efficiency) program replaced the AN/APQ-120 radar with the Hughes APG-65 digital multimode radar which has Doppler velocity tracking capability for moving target indication with the ability to track multiple targets at once. The upgraded aircraft can now also carry the AIM-120 AMRAAM missile due to the addition of a Litef digital fire control computer. A Honeywell H-423 laser gyro inertial navigation system wasalso fitted and a Litton ALR-68(V)-2 radar warning receiver.
McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom (ice) Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot and observer/navigator
- Height: 5.01 m
- Length: 19.40 m
- Wing Span: 11.70 m
- Empty weight: 21,950 kg
- Maximum Weight: 27,300 kg
- Engines: Twin 5,308 kg (8,120 kg with A/B) thrust J79-MTU-17A licence built
General Electric jet engines
- Max speed: Mach 2.23 @ 12,500 m
- Climb rate: 41,000 ft/min (210 m/s)
The Luftwaffe retired it's remaining McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantoms which had been operating with Jagdgeschwader 71 at Wittmund in June 2013 after the last of it's ordered Eurofighter 2000's had been delivered and become operational.
McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom (ice) Armament:
- Four AIM-120A AMRAMM air-to-air Missiles
- AIM-9 Sidewinder heat-seeking short-range air-to-air missiles
- Six AGM-65 Maverick
- Four AGM-62 Walleye
- Four AGM-45 Shrike
- AGM-88 HARM
- AGM-78 Standard ARM
- Four GBU-15
- Eighteen Mk.82, GBU-12
- Five Mk.84, GBU-10, GBU-14
- Eighteen CBU-87, CBU-89, CBU-58
- B28EX, B61, B43 and B57 Nuclear weapons
Luftwaffe F-4F Phantom
Terms & Limitations of McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II Picture use
This picture of a McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II is copyrighted by us . We only authorise non-commercial use of our content and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. These McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II pictures are not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) This website should be credited wherever these pictures is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our own individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our copyrighted pictures and content on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II Jet Fighter Picture & Information