Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-19 Jet Fighter Plane
The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19 fighter (NATO reporting name "Farmer") was the first Soviet production aircraft to break the sound barrier in level flight, it was based on a existing MiG-17 prototype fuselage widened to accept twin engines. The prototype MiG-19 made it's maiden flight in September 1954, in spite of initial design problems, by the end of production a total in excess of 8,500 MiG-19 fighters had been produced equipping most of the Soviet Block's Air-Forces and the People's Liberation Army Air Force, many remained in service well into the early 1970's.
|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19s Specifications:|
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 12.5 m (41 ft)
- Wingspan: 9.2 m (30 ft 2 in)
- Height: 3.9 m (12 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 25.0 m² (270 ft²)
- Empty weight: 5,447 kg (11,983 lb)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 7,560 kg (16,632 lb)
- Engine: Twin 31.9 kN (7,178 lbf) Tumansky RD-9B afterburning turbojets
- Maximum speed: 1,455 km/h (909 mph)
- Range: 685 km (430 mi); combat 2,200 km (1,375 mi)
- Service ceiling 17,500 m (57,400 ft)
- Rate of climb: 180 m/s (35,425 ft/min)
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19s Armament:
- Twin wing mounted 30 mm NR-30 cannon
- Single fuselage mounted 30 mm NR-30 cannon
- 250 kg (550 lb) of under-wing mounted bombs or unguided rocket projectiles
Terms & Limitations of Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-19 Picture use
This picture of Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-19 has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF museum picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) www.airpowerworld.info must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-19 Jet Fighter Plane Picture & Information