Northrop F-20 Tigershark Jet Fighter Plane
The privately funded Northrop F-20 was designed in the early 1980's as a improved Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter, it's performance was similar to the more expensive F-16 Fighting Falcon, and had a less expensive operational overhead. For political reasons, the aircraft had been primarily intended for the export, the relatively low technology would reduce the risk of sensitive technology falling into Soviet hands via third party operators. Only three aircraft were produced and the project was cancelled in the early 1990's as military sales limitations softened under the Reagan administration allowing the F-16 Fighting Falcon to be sold to more foreign nations.
|Northrop F-20 Tigershark Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 46 ft 6 in (14.2 m)
- Wingspan: 26 ft 8 in (8.1 m)
- Height: 13 ft 10 in (4.2 m)
- Empty weight: 11,220 lb (5,090 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 26,290 lb (11,920 kg)
- Engine: Single 17,000 lbf (76 kN) General Electric F404-GE-100 turbofan
- Maximum speed: Mach 2.1
- Combat radius: 300 NM (345 mi, 555 km)
- Service ceiling 55,000 ft (16,800 m)
- Rate of climb: 50,030 ft/min (255 m/s)
Northrop F-20 Tigershark Armament:
- Guns: Twin 20 mm M39 cannon
- Hardpoints: 5 with a total capacity of 8,000 lb (3,600 kg)
- Missiles: Twin AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles
Terms & Limitations of Northrop F-20 Tigershark Picture use
This picture of a Northrop F-20 Tigershark has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Northrop F-20 Tigershark Jet Fighter Plane Picture & Information