Republic F-105 Thunderchief Jet Fighter Plane
The Republic F-105 Thunderchief nicknamed by it's flight crew the "Thud" entered served with the USAF in 1958 as a supersonic fighter bomber with nuclear capability, although a total of 833 F-105's were produced, over half these were lost in the Vietnam War and each hour of flight required a ridiculous one hundred and fifty hours of maintenance, it came as no surprise when the aircraft was taken out of USAF service following the end of the Vietnam War although some were operated by the Air National Guard until early 1984, the Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon was purchased to replace the F-105 and has proved to be a very good choice.
Republic F-105D Thunderchief Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 64 ft 4.75 in (19.63 m)
- Wingspan: 34 ft 11.25 in (10.65 m)
- Height: 19 ft 8 in (5.99 m)
- Empty weight: 27,500 lb (12,470 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 52,546 lb (23,834 kg)
- Engine: Single 26,500 lbf (118 kN) Pratt & Whitney J75-P-19W afterburning turbojet
- Maximum speed: Mach 2.08 (1,372 mph, 2,208 km/h) at 36,000 ft (11,000 m)
- Combat radius: 780 mi (680 nm, 1,250 km)
- Service ceiling: 48,500 ft (14,800 m)
- Rate of climb: 38,500 ft/min (195 m/s)
Republic F-105D Thunderchief Armament:
- Single: 20 mm (0.787 in) M61 Vulcan cannon
- Four AIM-9 Sidewinder and AGM-12 Bullpup missiles
- A maximum of 14,000 lb (6350 kg) of ordnance, including conventional or nuclear bombs
Terms & Limitations of Republic F-105 Thunderchief Picture use
This picture of a Republic F-105 Thunderchief has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Republic F-105 Thunderchief Jet Fighter Plane Picture & Information