Fairey Firefly mk.4 Fighter Plane
The Fairey Firefly mk.4 was a Navy Fighter bomber designed for the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm during WW2, it was based on the existing Rolls-Royce Merlin powered Firefly but was powered with the more powerful Griffon engine. The prototype first flew in late 1944 but production aircraft did not enter service until a year after WW2 had ended. The aircraft pictured above did not enter service until 1947 and ended it's operational career converted in to a target tug becoming a Fairey Firefly TT mk.4 after the Fairey Firefly mk.4 had been retired from front line fighter service with the Royal Navy in 1955.
|Fairey Firefly Mk IV Specification: |
- Crew: Pilot & Observer
- Length: 38 ft 9 in (11.8 m)
- Wingspan: 41 ft 2 in (12.55 m)
- Height: 14 ft 4 in (4.37 m)
- Empty weight: 9,859 lb (4,472 kg)
- Loaded weight: 13,200 lb (6,000 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 16,096 lb (7,301 kg)
- Engine: Single 2,245 hp (1,674 kW) Rolls-Royce Griffon 74 liquid-cooled V12 piston engine
- Maximum speed: 386 mph at 14,000 ft (618 km/h at 4,300 m)
- Range: 1,300 miles (1,722 km) when fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks
- Service ceiling: 31,900 ft (9,723 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,900 ft/min (9.7 m/s)
Fairey Firefly Mk IV Armament:
- Four wing-mounted 20 mm Hispano-Suiza HS.404 cannons
- Two under wing mounted 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs
- Sixteen 60 lb (27 kg) unguided rocket projectiles
Terms & Limitations of Fairey Firefly mk.4 Picture use
This picture of Fairey Firefly mk.4 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Fairey Firefly mk.4 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Fairey Firefly mk.4 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Fairey Firefly mk.4 Fighter Plane Picture and Information