Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 Fighter Plane
The last Supermarine Spitfire model to be produced was the Mk 24, only 81 aircraft were produced, 27 of which were Mk 22's converted. The Mk24 was almost the same as the Mk 22 but carried extra fuel in the fuselage, had wing mountings for unguided rocket projectiles and the large tail designed for the Supermarine Spiteful, they did not enter operational service with the RAF until after WWII had ended although a the naval variant of the aircraft, the Seafire F Mark 47, saw action with the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm in both Malaya and Korea.
The last Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 was made in October 1947 and was delivered in February 1948 to No. 80 Squadron RAF who operated the type until January 1952, after which is was passed to the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force serving until 1955.
Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 Armament:
- Four 20 mm short-barrelled Mark V Hispano cannon
- Twelve 3" 60lb under-wing mounted unguided rocket projectiles
- Single 500 lb (230 kg) bombs (and)
- Two 250 lb (110 kg) bombs
Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 Specifications:
- Weight: 9,900 lbs
- Maximum Range: 965 miles
- Engine: 2,035 hp Rolls Royce Griffon 61 liquid cooled V12
- Maximum Speed: 450 mph @ 19,000 ft
- Service Ceiling: 43,000 ft
The aircraft pictured above, VN485, last flew on the 21st of April 1955 and is one of three remaining Mk 24 Spitfires, it is now resident again in the UK at Duxford (Imperial War Museum).
Rolls Royce Griffon 61
Terms & Limitations of Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 Picture use
This picture of Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Supermarine Spitfire Mk 24 Fighter Plane Picture and Information