Douglas O-46A Military Aircraft
Ninety Douglas O-46A observation planes were built between 1936 and 1937 for the Air Corps, it was soon realised that they lacked the necessary agility required in a modern war, they were just too big and heavy, in consequence they were declared obsolete as an observation aircraft in 1942, the remaining aircraft being re-designated as the L-46A liaison and training aircraft. It is of note that two Douglas O-46A observation planes were destroyed in the Philippines on the 8th December 1941 during the Japanese attack on Clark Field.
The picture above depicts the only surviving Douglas O-46A, this aircraft forms part of the aircraft collection at the National Museum of the United States Air Force based at Wright-Patterson AFB.
Douglas O-46A Specifications:
- Length: 34 ft 6� in (10.54 m)
- Wingspan: 45 ft 9 in (13.94 m)
- Height: 10 ft 8� in (3.25 m)
- Wing area: 332 ft� (30.8 m�)
- Empty weight: 4,776 lb (2,166 kg)
- Loaded weight: 6,639 lb (3,011 kg)
- Engine: Single 725 hp (541 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-1535-7 14-cylinder radial engine
- Maximum speed: 200 mph (174 knots, 322 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 171 mph (149 knots, 275 km/h)
- Range: 435 miles (378 nmi, 700 km)
- Service ceiling: 24,150 ft (7,360 m)
- Rate of climb: 1,765 ft/min (9.0 m/s)
Douglas O-46A Armament:
- Two .30 cal (7.62 mm) Browning machine guns
Terms & Limitations of Douglas O-46A Picture use
This picture of a Douglas O-46A has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF museum picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Douglas O-46A Military Aircraft Picture & Information