Grumman OA-12 Duck Military Aircraft
The Grumman OA-12 Duck was a post war U.S. Air Force air-sea rescue version of the Grumman J2F-6 amphibian which had been used extensively by the US Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard from 1936 until after the end of WW2. The Grumman OA-12 Duck was normally crewed by just a pilot and observer although there was space for a dedicated radio operator if required, more importantly, for it's primary air-sea rescue role, the fuselage cabin had space to accommodate several passengers or even a stretcher-borne casualty.
The Grumman Duck was a very versatile aircraft and could still be used as a maritime observation platform or even used offensively by the fitting of optional under-wing racks for bombs or depth-charges.
Grumman J2F-6 Duck Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot and observer and sometimes a radio operator
- Passenger capacity: two rescued airmen
- Length: 34 ft 0 in (10.37 m)
- Wingspan: 39 ft 0 in (11.9 m)
- Height: 13 ft 11 in (4.25 m)
- Empty weight: 5,480 lb (2,485 kg)
- Loaded weight: 7,700 lb (3,496 kg)
- Engine: Single 900 hp (670 kW) Wright R-1820-54 nine-cylinder radial engine
- Maximum speed: 190 mph (304 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 155 mph (248 km/h)
- Stall speed: 70 mph (112 km/h)
- Range: 780 mi (1,255 km)
- Service ceiling: 20,000 ft (6,100 m)
Grumman J2F-6 Duck Armament:
- Single .30 cal (7.62 mm) Browning machine gun for observer
- 650 lb (295 kg) bombs or depth charges carried on optional under-wing racks
Terms & Limitations of Grumman OA-12 Duck Picture use
This picture of a Grumman OA-12 Duck is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Grumman OA-12 Duck picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Grumman OA-12 Duck picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Grumman OA-12 Duck Military Aircraft Picture & Information