Hawker Siddeley Kestrel Military Aircraft
The Hawker Siddeley Kestrel was developed from the Hawker Siddeley P.1127 jump-jet, 10 aircraft were produced for evaluation by the RAF in 1964, they were given the designation Hawker Siddeley Kestrel FGA.1 and sent to the Tripartite Evaluation Squadron formed at RAF West Raynham in Norfolk. After evaluation in the UK six of the aircraft were sent to the USA for evaluation and re-designated the Hawker Siddeley XV-6A Kestrel, the aircraft below is one of the six Kestrels that were evaluated in the USA.
The evaluation of the Kestrel resulted in the armed forces of the UK and USA both later purchasing the production version of the aircraft, the unique Hawker Siddeley Harrier.
Kestrel FGA.1 Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 42 ft 6 in (12.95 m)
- Wingspan: 22 ft 11 in (6.99 m)
- Height: 10 ft 9 in (3.28 m)
- Empty weight: approximately 9,800 lb (4,445 kg)
- Loaded weight: for VTO 14,500 lb (6,580 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: for STO, approximately 17,000 lb (7,700 kg)
- Engine: Single 15,000 lbf (67 kN) Bristol Siddeley Pegasus 5 vectored-thrust turbofan
- Maximum speed: 710 mph, Mach 0.92 (1,142 km/h) at sea level
- Service ceiling: 55,000 ft (16,750 m)
Terms & Limitations of Hawker Siddeley Kestrel Picture use
This picture of a Hawker Siddeley Kestrel has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF picture. This Hawker Siddeley Kestrel picture is in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our own individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Hawker Siddeley Kestrel Military Aircraft Picture & Information