Lockheed Hudson Military Aircraft
The Lockheed Hudson was designed by Kelly Johnson for the Royal Air Force in the late 1930's, it was the biggest order Lockheed had ever procured to date, the requirement was for a coastal reconnaissance and light bomber. The Hudson first flew in late 1938, and entered RAF service in 1939, just in time for WW2. The Lockheed Hudson served extensively throughout the second world war with RAF Coastal Command and the RCAF's anti-submarine squadrons.
The original RAF order had been for 200 aircraft but massive orders during the war from five different allied air forces resulted in a total of just under 3000 aircraft having been produced at the end of production in 1943, many having been supplied under the 1941 "Lease Lend" program.
Lockheed Hudson Mk I Specifications:
- Crew: 6
- Length: 44 ft 4 in (13.51 m)
- Wingspan: 65 ft 6 in (19.96 m)
- Height: 11 ft 10 in (3.62 m)
- Empty weight: 12,000 lb (5,400 kg)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 18,500 lb (8,390 kg)
- Engines: Twin 1,100 hp (820 kW) Wright Cyclone R-1820 9-cylinder radial engines
- Maximum speed: 218 kt (246 mph, 397 km/h)
- Range: 1,700 nm (1,960 mi, 3,150 km)
- Service ceiling: 24,500 ft (7,470 m)
Lockheed Hudson Mk I Armament:
- Twin .303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns in dorsal turret
- Twin .303 Browning machine guns in nose
- Bombs: Up to 750 lb (340 kg) of bombs or depth charges
Terms & Limitations of Lockheed Hudson Picture use
This picture of Lockheed Hudson is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Lockheed Hudson picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Lockheed Hudson picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Lockheed Hudson Military Aircraft Picture & Information