Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow Aircraft
The Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow was introduced in February 1996 and is a variant of the C-130 Hercules transport. The MC130p Combat Shadow has been specially modified in order to meet the support requirements of U.S. special operations forces and their helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft. The aircraft can fly special forces in if a landing strip is available or drop paratroopers if not. When the delivery or extraction of special forces requires helicopters for transport or protection it can offer both command and re-fuelling capabilities to them as needed.
The name "Combat Shadow" is particularly well chosen for this aircraft, it's mission is to support special operations personnel and equipment like, helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft while they are on infiltration, exfiltration or re-supply missions to and from their objectives, providing in-air command and control when required.
|Lockheed MC-130H Combat Talon II Specifications: |
- Crew: 7
- Capacity: 77 troops, 52 paratroopers or 57 litter patients
- Length: 99 feet, 9 inches (30.4 meters)
- Wingspan: 132 feet, 7 inches (40.4 meters)
- Height: 38 feet, 6 inches (11.7 meters)
- Empty weight: 72,892 pounds (32, 801 kilogram)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 155,000 pounds (69,750 kilogram)
- Engines: Four 4,910 shp (3,660 kW) Allison T56-A-15 turboprop engines
- Cruise speed: 300 mi/hr (482 km/h)
- Range: 2,700 nautical miles (4,344 km)
- Service ceiling: 33,000 feet (10,000 meters)
Two Aircraft at Once!
The Lockheed mc130p Combat Shadow can re-fuel two helicopters or tilt-rotors simultaneously at low altitude, it can also transport troops or drop paratroopers. As most special operations are at night the crews of the Lockheed mc130p Combat Shadow and any aircraft being re-fuelled have to do so wearing night vision goggles, they dare not use lights in case they are seen, and this is while they are often flying at low level to avoid radar detection.
Terms & Limitations of Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow Picture use
These pictures of a Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow are Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. These Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow pictures are not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of these Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow pictures, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Lockheed MC130p Combat Shadow Military Aircraft Picture & Info