Lockheed P-3 Orion Military Aircraft
The Lockheed P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft is based on the Lockheed L-188 Electra airliner, it is of note that the RAF's Nimrod and the French Atlantique maritime patrol aircraft are also based on existing airliners. The first production airframe made it's maiden flight on the 15 of April 1961 and entered US Military service the following year and eventually totally replaced the Lockheed P-2 Neptune which had been in service since 1947. The Lockheed P-3 Orion, like most other maritime patrol aircraft, has the capability to locate and attack both submarines and surface vessels.
Although the P-3 Orion is now quite old, upgrades to it's avionics mean it is still an effective maritime patrol aircraft and consequently remains in service with the armed forces of eighteen nations.
Lockheed P-3C Orion Armament:
- Bombs: 20,000 lb (9,000 kg)
- Missiles: AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-84E SLAM, the Standoff Land Attack Missile, AGM-65 Maverick
- Sonar-buoys: 48
- Torpedoes: MK-46 and MK-50
- Miscellaneous: mines and depth charges
Lockheed P-3C Orion Specifications: Crew: 11Length: 116 ft 10 in (35.6 m)Wingspan: 99 ft 8 in (30.4 m)Height: 33 ft 8.5 in (10.3 m)Empty weight: 77,200 lb (35,000 kg)Max takeoff weight: 142,000 lb (64,400 kg)Engines: Four 4,600 shp (3,700 kW) Allison T56-A-14 turbopropMaximum speed: 405 kt (750 km/h)Cruise speed: 330 kt (610 km/h)Range: 5,600 milesService ceiling: 34,000 ft (10,400 m)
Terms & Limitations of Lockheed P-3 Orion Picture use
This Lockheed P-3 Orion picture has been digitally re-mastered from an image in the US Navy Picture Gallery.
Limitations of use:
1) The US Navy Should be credited as the original source wherever this a picture is used.
2) For internet use, whenever information from this site is used on another URL or website a link back to Siteseen Ltd. must be provided.
3) Use of this Lockheed P-3 Orion information, or any picture of which we own the copyright, on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Lockheed P-3 Orion Military Aircraft Picture & Information