Piper L4 Grasshopper Military Aircraft
Built between 1937 and 1947 by Piper Aircraft for all US military forces, the L4 Grasshopper was based on the civilian Piper J-3 Cub which had been designed by C. G. Taylor and Walter Jamouneau. Apart from being painted green the only significant change was a higher visibility cockpit or "glasshouse", the Piper L4's were used for reconnaissance, cargo transport, artillery spotting as well as medical evacuation throughout WW2 and during the Korean War.
Although the Piper L4 Grasshopper played an important role in WW2 the standard Piper J-3 Cub played an even more important one, it was used as the primary trainer of the Civilian Pilot Training Program which trained a total of over 435,000 pilots during WW2 which effectively equals over 80% of all US WW2 military pilots.
Piper J3C-65 Cub Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Capacity: Single passenger or equivalent in cargo
- Length: 22 ft 5 in (6.83 m)
- Wingspan: 35 ft 3 in (10.74 m)
- Height: 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)
- Empty weight: 765 lb (345 kg)
- Useful load: 455 lb (205 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 1,220 lb (550 kg)
- Engine: Single 65 hp (48 kW) Continental A-65-8 air-cooled horizontally opposed four cylinder piton engine
- Maximum speed: 76 kn (87 mph, 140 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 65 kn (75 mph, 121 km/h)
- Range: 191 NM (220 mi, 354 km)
- Service ceiling: 11,500 ft (3,500 m)
Terms & Limitations of Piper L4 Grasshopper Picture use
This picture of Piper L4 Grasshopper is Copyright © airpowerworld.info 2006. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Piper L4 Grasshopper picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) www.airpowerworld.info must be credited as the copyright holders wherever a picture is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Piper L4 Grasshopper picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Piper L4 Grasshopper Military Aircraft Picture & Information