BAC Jet Provost T.5A Military Trainer Aircraft
Hunting developed the Jet Provost from it's piston-engine Percival Provost basic trainer to meet an RAF requirement for a basic jet training aircraft, the prototype first flew in June 1954 and entered RAF service in 1955.
The Jet Provost remained the RAF's basic jet trainer until replaced with the turbo-prop powered Short Tucano in the early 1990's, one of the main reasons for the change was the considerable saving of time and money on servicing.
Hunting Jet Provost Armament if fitted:Twin 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns6× 60 lb (27 kg) or 12× 25 lb (11 kg) unguided rocket projectilesTwo 100 lb (45 kg) or eight 25 lb (11 kg) bombs
Hunting Jet Provost Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot and trainee
- Length: 33 ft 8.5 in (10.27 m)
- Wingspan: 36 ft 10 in (11.23 m)
- Height: 10 ft 11.5 in (3.34 m)
- Wing area: 213.7 ft² (19.79 m²)
- Max takeoff weight: 7,300 lb (3,310 kg)
- Engine: Single 2,500 lbf (11.1 kN) Armstrong-Siddeley Viper turbojet
- Maximum speed: Mach 0.57 (440 mph, 708 km/h)
- Range: 600 mi (520 knots, 970 km)
- Service ceiling: 44,000 ft (13,400 m)
Jet Provost T.5 XW289
Hunting Jet Provost T5A XW422
Ground Attack Version
Hunting produced a ground attack version of the aircraft, the Jet Provost T51, after Hunting became part of BAC they produced another ground attack version based on the Jet Provost T.Mk.5 airframe and marketed it as the BAC 167 Strikemaster.
Terms & Limitations of BAC Jet Provost T.5A Picture use
These pictures of a BAC Jet Provost T.5A are copyright www.airpowerworld.info, these pictures are not in the public domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever content from this site is used is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided where this site is the copyright holder.
3) Use of any of our copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
BAC Jet Provost T.5A Military Trainer Plane Picture and Information