North American AT-6D Texan Military Trainer
First flown in April 1935 North American Aviation T-6 Texan was a WW2 era advanced trainer, there were numerous variants of this aircraft depending on the user's requirements, the Texan was the USAAC and USAAF variant. A total of 15,496 of this aircraft were built in various designations with minor differences and served with a very large number of military forces although the USAAC, USAAF and RAF were the largest users. Although intended as a trainer, the North American Aviation T-6 Texan was used worldwide as a combat aircraft. Today they are regular participants in Pylon Races, and a popular and inexpensive "Warbird" with aircraft enthusiasts.
|North American Aviation T-6G Specifications:|
- Crew: Student pilot and instructor
- Length: 29 ft (8.84 m)
- Wingspan: 42 ft (12.81 m)
- Height: 11 ft 8 in (3.57 m)
- Empty weight: 4,158 lb (1,886 kg)
- Loaded weight: 5,617 lb (2,548 kg)
- Engine: Single 600 hp (450 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN-1 Wasp radial engine
- Maximum speed: 208 mph at 5,000 ft (335 km/h at 1,500 m)
- Cruise speed: 145 mph (233 km/h)
- Range: 730 miles (1,175 km)
- Service ceiling: 24,200 ft (7,400 m)
- Up to three 0.30 in (7.62 mm) machine guns
Longest serving RAF aircraft
It is of note that one of the RAF's 1945 Harvard IIB aircraft, (KF183), trainer aircraft was operated until the late 1990's, in later years the aircraft's flight speed envelope made it more suitable than newer aircraft as a "helicopter test" photographic chase plane, the stall speed of the newer operational RAF aircraft was just too high!
Terms & Limitations of North American AT-6D Texan Picture use
This picture of a North American AT-6D Texan is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This North American AT-6D Texan picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this North American AT-6D Texan picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
North American AT-6D Texan Military Trainer Plane Picture and Information