Polikarpov PO2 Military Trainer Aircraft
The Soviet built Polikarpov PO2 was designed by Nikolai Polikarpov to replace the licence built Avro 504 trainer the "U-1". The Polikarpov PO2 first flew in 1927 and went into production in 1929. Over 40,000 Polikarpov PO2 were produced between 1929 and 1953, additional aircraft were also produced under licence in Poland as the CSS-13 until 1959. The Polikarpov PO2's primary user was the Soviet Air Force who used the aircraft in numerous roles including liaison, reconnaissance, ground attack, psychological warfare as well as a primary trainer. During the Cold war the Polikarpov PO2 was given the NATO reporting name of "Mule".
Polikarpov Po-2 Armament:
- Guns: Optional single 7.62 mm (0.30 in) SHKAS machine gun
- Bombs: Some versions were fitted with racks for six 50 kg (110 lb) bombs.
|Polikarpov Po-2 Specifications: |
- Crew: Student pilot and instructor
- Length: 8.17 m (26 ft 10 in)
- Wingspan: 11.40 m (37 ft 5 in)
- Height: 3.10 m (10 ft 2 in)
- Empty weight: 770 kg (1,698 lb)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 1,350 kg (2,976 lb)
- Engine: Single 93 kW (125 hp) Shvetsov M-11D five cylinder air-cooled radial engine
- Maximum speed: 152 km/h (82 kn, 94 mph)
- Cruise speed: 110 km/h (59 kn, 68 mph)
- Range: 630 km (340 nmi, 391 mi)
- Service ceiling: 3,000 m (9,843 ft)
- Rate of climb: 2.78 m/s (546 ft/min)
WWII and the Korean War
The Polikarpov PO2 saw active use in both WWII and the Korean War as a light-bomber, it's low speed made it a difficult target for modern fast monoplane fighters as it's top speed was very close to their stalling speed.
Terms & Limitations of Polikarpov PO2 Picture use
This picture of a Polikarpov PO2 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Polikarpov PO2 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Polikarpov PO2 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Polikarpov PO2 Military Trainer Plane Picture and Information