Alenia C-27J Spartan Military Transport Aircraft
The Alenia C-27J Spartan is a military transport aircraft of medium size, it is effectively the airframe of the Alenia Aeronauticas G.222 fitted with two of the Rolls-Royce AE 2100 engines, six-bladed Dowty propellers, glass cockpit, and some of the other systems from Lockheed Martin's C-130J "Super Hercules". As good as the Hercules undoubtedly is, there was a need in the US military for a medium size alternative for smaller jobs, the aircraft chosen was the Alenia G.222
With the arrival of the Super Hercules it was seen as desirable to have a medium lift aircraft of similar performance, upgrading the G.222 to a Super Hercules's specification was an ideal solution. Lockheed Martin broached the subject with Alenia and the Alenia C-27J Spartan was the outcome.
|Alenia Aeronautica C-27J Spartan Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot and co-pilot, a loadmaster when hauling cargo
- Capacity: 60 troops or 11,500 kg (25,353 lb) of cargo
- Length: 22.7 m (74 ft 6 in) Wingspan: 28.7 m (94 ft 2 in) Height: 9.64 m (31 ft 8 in)
- Empty weight: 17,000 kg (37,479 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 30,500 kg (67,241 lb)
- Engines: Twin 3,460 kW (4,640 hp) Rolls-Royce AE2100-D2A turboprops
- Propellers: 6-bladed Dowty 4.15 m (13 ft 7 in) diameter
- Maximum speed: 602 km/h (374 mph; 325 kn)
- Cruising speed: 583 km/h (362 mph; 315 kn)
- Range: 1,852 km (1,151 mi; 1,000 nmi) with 10,000 Kg (22,000 lb) payload
- Range: 4,260 km (2,650 mi; 2,300 nmi) with 6,000 Kg (13,200 lb) payload
- Service ceiling: 9,144 m (30,000 ft)
As would be expected the main operators of the C-27J were the United States Air Force and the Italian Air Force but financial cut backs have resulted in the United States military forces cutting back their use and future purchase.
Terms & Limitations of Alenia C-27J Spartan Picture use
This picture of a Alenia C-27J Spartan is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Alenia C-27J Spartan picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Alenia C-27J Spartan picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Alenia C-27J Spartan Military Transport Picture & Information