Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando Transport
The Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando was designed by Curtiss-Wright's chief aircraft designer George A. Page Jr. in 1937 as an airliner but was not as successful as the Douglas Dakota/DC-3 and mainly served as a cargo transport aircraft with the US military from 1941 until 1968. The aircraft never gained the popularity of the Douglas Dakota and aircrew referred to the aircraft as the "Curtiss Calamity" and "The Whale", even when used as a cargo carrier the Douglas C-47 Skytrain was far more popular and only 3,181 aircraft had been produced when production ended in 1945, the Douglas C-47/DC-3 was produced in far larger numbers (30,000+).
Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando Specifications:
- Crew: 4
- Capacity: 50 passengers
- Length: 76 ft 4 in (23.27 m)
- Wingspan: 108 ft 1 in (32.9 m)
- Height: 21 ft 9 in (6.63 m)
- Wing area: 1,360 ft² (126.8 m²)
- Empty weight: 32,400 lb (14,700 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 48,000 lb (22,000 kg)
- Engines: Twin 2,000 hp (1,500 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-51 twin-row 18-cylinder radial engines
- Maximum speed: 269 mph (234 knots, 433 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 173 mph (278 km/h)
- Range: 2,950 mi (2,560 nm, 4,750 km)
- Service ceiling: 27,600 ft (8,410 m)
Terms & Limitations of Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando Picture use
This picture of a Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando has been digitally re mastered from a picture in the public domain. We only authorise non-commercial use of our own pictures and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando picture is in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted content is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Curtiss-Wright C-46 Commando Military Transport Picture & Info