de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 Transport Aircraft
The WW2 Brabazon Committee report had called for a British short haul aircraft to be designed for use after the cease of hostilities, the DH.104 Dove was the de Havilland solution. Design work began on the Dove began towards the end of the war, with the first of two prototypes flying at Hatfield airfield, Hertfordshire in September 1945. The de Havilland DH.104 Dove's and Devon's were the first British transport aircraft to have tricycle landing gear and reversible pitch propellers a total 528 DH.104's had been made when in 1967 production ended, 328 civilian Doves, 127 military Devon C.2s and 13 Sea Devon's.
The aircraft pictured above is the de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 Communications and Transport version used by the RAF, the last of which left the RAF in 1993 after 45 years of service.
de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 Specification:
- Crew: Pilot and Co-pilot
- Passengers: 8
- Wingspan: 57 ft (17.37 m)
- Length: 39 ft 3 in (11.96 m)
- Height: 13 ft 4 in (4.06 m)
- Wing area: 335 sq ft (31.1 m²)
- Empty weight: 5,725 lb (2,600 kg)
- Gross weight: 8,800 lb (4,000 kg)
- Engines: Twin 380 bhp de Havilland Gipsy Queen 70 Mk 2 supercharged 6-cylinder air-cooled engines
- Maximum speed: 202 mph (325 km/h) at 8,000 ft (2,400 m)
- Service ceiling: 20,000 ft (6,100 m)
- Maximum range: 1,070 miles (1,720 km)
de Havilland Devon G-OPLC
Terms & Limitations of de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 Picture use
This picture of de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
de Havilland DH.104 Devon C.2 Transport Picture & Information