Lockheed C-5 Galaxy Military Transport Aircraft
The massive Lockheed C-5 Galaxy entered service with the United States Air Force in mid 1970 as a Strategic airlifter and still remains in service. Shortly after it's introduction stress fractures were found in the wings of many C-5 Galaxys and remedial action had to be applied to the entire fleet. Since it's introduction the Galaxy has participated in every major military action where US forces have taken an active role as well as in numerous humanitarian aid airlifts worldwide, a total of 94 remain operational, five C-5 Galaxy aircraft have been lost in crashes and two more due to fire whilst on the ground.
|Lockheed C-5B Specifications:|
- Crew: Typicaly aircraft commander, pilot, two flight engineers and for air-lift operations three loadmasters
- Payload: 270,000 lb (122,470 kg)
- Length: 247 ft 1 in (75.31 m)
- Wingspan: 222 ft 9 in (67.89 m)
- Height: 65 ft 1 in (19.84 m)
- Empty weight: 380,000 lb (172,370 kg)
- Loaded weight: 769,000 lb (348,800 kg)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 840,000 lb (381,000 kg)
- Engines: Four 43,000 lbf (190 kN) General Electric TF39-GE-1C high-bypass turbofans
- Maximum speed: Mach 0.79 (503 kn, 579 mph, 932 km/h)
- Cruise speed: Mach 0.77 (919 km/h)
- Fuel capacity: 51,150 US gal (193,600 L)
- Range: 2,760 mi (4,440 km) with a 263,200 lb (119,400 kg) payload
- Service ceiling: 35,700 ft (10,600 m) at 615,000 lb (279,000 kg) gross weight
- Takeoff distance: 8,400 ft (2,600 m)
- Landing distance: 3,600 ft (1,100 m)
USAF Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Terms & Limitations of Lockheed C-5 Galaxy Picture use
These pictures of a Lockheed C-5 Galaxy have been digitally re-mastered from USAF pictures and they should be credited wherever they are used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Lockheed C-5 Galaxy Military Transport Picture & Information