McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III
The McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III is a Strategic/tactical airlifter intended as a replacement for the aging C-130 Hercules. The C-17 first flew in September 1991 and entered service with the USAF in July 1993.While the primary user of the C-17 Globemaster III United States Air Force it is also operated by the air forces of Australia, Canada and the UK. It is of note that McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing in 1997 in a stock-swap to create The Boeing Company resulting in the C-17 being re-branded as the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III.
|McDonnell Douglas C-17 Specifications: |
- Crew: Two pilots and a loadmaster
- Capacity: 102 troops or 170,900 lb (77,519 kg) of cargo
- Length: 174 ft (53 m)
- Wingspan: 169.8 ft (51.75 m)
- Height: 55.1 ft (16.8 m)
- Empty weight: 282,500 lb (128,100 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 585,000 lb (265,350 kg)
- Engines: Four 40,440 lbf (180 kN) Pratt & Whitney F117-PW-100 turbofans
- Fuel capacity: 35,546 US gal (134,556 L)
- Cruise speed: Mach 0.76 (450 knots, 515 mph, 830 km/h)
- Range: 2,420 nmi (2,785 mi, 4,482 km)
- Service ceiling 45,000 ft (13,716 m)
Terms & Limitations of McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III Picture use
This picture of a McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
McDonnell Douglas C-17 Globemaster III Military Transport Picture & Information