Short C-23 Sherpa Military Transport Aircraft
The Short C-23 Sherpa is a slab sided military utility transport aircraft developed from the Short Skyvan in the early 1980's by Short Brothers of Belfast. The Short C-23 Sherpa first flew in December 1982 and entered service with the USAF in 1985, they remained operational with the USAF until 1990 when they were passed on to the US Army who also purchased an additional ten new Sherpas, at the time they were the only transport aircraft operated by the U.S Army. The Short C-23 Sherpa has seen considerable use with the U.S Army in the Iraq War although it is planed to eventually replace them with the Alenia C-27J.
Short C-23A Specifications:
- Crew: Two pilots and cabin crew
- Capacity: 30 passengers
- Length: 58 ft 0 in (17.69 m)
- Wingspan: 74 ft 9 in (22.78 m)
- Height: 16 ft 3 in (4.95 m)
- Empty weight: 14,200 lb (6,440 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 22,900 lb (10,387 kg)
- Engines: Twin Pratt 1,198 hp (894 kW) Whitney Canada PT6A-45-R turboprops
- Maximum speed: 218 mph (190 knots, 352 km/h) at 10,000 ft (3,050 m)
- Cruise speed: 184 mph (160 knots, 296 km/h)
- Stall speed: 85 mph (73 knots, 136 km/h)
- Range: 770 mi (915 nm, 1,239 km)
- Service ceiling: 12,000 ft (3,500 m)
- Rate of climb: 2,100 ft/min (60 m/s)
Terms & Limitations of Short C-23 Sherpa Picture use
This picture of a Short C-23 Sherpa has been digitally re-mastered from a DefenseImagery.mil picture. We only authorise non-commercial use of our content and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Short C-23 Sherpa picture is in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) DefenseImagery.mil should be credited wherever this picture is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our own individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our copyrighted pictures and content on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Short C-23 Sherpa Military Transport Picture & Information