Albatros D.III WW1 Fighter
The Albatros D.III was a further evolution of the original Albatros D.I design, and had the highest production numbers, a total of 1866 aircraft were produced. Although generally improving on the performance of the previous Albatros fighters. The design of the lower wing was slightly flawed, with a tendency to crack or fail when heavily stressed, attempts were made to rectify the problem but they only improved the situation rather than resolving it. The Albatros D.III became operational in the last days of 1916 and remained in service until the end of WWI.
The above picture shows the twenty one year old German flying ace Ernst Udet in 1917 standing front of his Albatros D.III. The aircraft is being serviced, the two watering cans contained oil and water, in order to ensure the fluid levels were correct the engine had to be horizontal, hence the use of a trestle to raise the aircraft's tail.
Albatros D.III Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 7.33 m (24 ft 0 in)
- Wingspan: 9.00 m (29 ft 6 in)
- Height: 2.90 m (9 ft 6 in)
- Empty weight: 695 kg (1,532 lb)
- Loaded weight: 886 kg (1,949 lb)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 955 kg (2,105 lb)
- Engine: Single 127 kW (170 hp) Mercedes D.IIIa straight six water cooled engine
- Maximum speed: 175 km/h (94 kn, 109 mph) at sea level
- Range: 480 km (261 nmi, 300 mi)
- Service ceiling: 5,500 m (18,044 ft)
- Rate of climb: 4.5 m/s (886ft/min)
Albatros D.III Armament:
- Twin 7.92 mm (.312 in) LMG 08/15 machine guns
Terms & Limitations of Albatros D.III Picture use
This picture of Albatros D.III is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Albatros D.III picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Albatros D.III picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Albatros D.III WW1 Fighter Picture and Information