Picture of Bell P-39 Airacobra WW2 Fighter
The Bell P-39 Airacobra was a unique all metal mid-engined pre-war fighter with tricycle undercarriage, the propeller drive shaft literally ran under the pilot's feet. Due to the Bell P-39 Airacobra's lack of a turbocharger or supercharger it had poor performance above 14,000, the Bell P-39 Airacobra was however available in large numbers at the time America entered WWII, and was also very reliable with the ability to take a lot of punishment and still remain airworthy.
A total of 9,500 Bell P-39 Airacobra fighters were produced, the majority of the Bell P-39 Airacobra fighter aircraft were delivered to the Russian Red Air Force as part of the the WWII Lend-Lease program. The Red Air Force made good use of the Bell P-39 Airacobra in ground support and attack roles where the aircraft's poor high level performance was of no consequence.
Bell P-39 Airacobra Armament:
- Single 37 mm M4 cannon firing through the propeller hub with 30 rounds of ammunition.
- Four .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns.
- Maximum of 500 lb (230 kg) of bombs externally carried
|Bell P-39Q Airacobra Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 30 ft 2 in (9.2 m)
- Wingspan: 34 ft 0 in (10.4 m)
- Height: 12 ft 5 in (3.8 m)
- Empty weight: 5,347 lb (2,425 kg)
- Loaded weight: 7,379 lb (3,347 kg)
- Engine: Single 1,200 hp (895 kW) Allison V-1710-85 liquid-cooled V-12
- Maximum speed: 376 mph; (605 km/h)
- Range: 1,098 miles (1,770 km)
- Service ceiling: 35,000 ft (10,700 m)
Russian Fighter Pilots
Four particularly successful Russian Bell P-39 Airacobra pilots were Major Gregoriy Rechkalov, Colonel Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Major Dmitriy Glinka and Major Nikolay Gulaev.
Terms & Limitations of Bell P-39 Airacobra Picture use
The top picture of Bell P-39 Airacobra has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF pictue. The bottom Bell P-39 Airacobra picture is copyright millitry-aircraft.org.uk
Limitations of use:
1) The USAF should be credited wherever the top Bell P-39 Airacobra picture is used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Bell P-39 Airacobra WW2 Fighter Picture and Information