Picture of Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 WW2 Fighter
The Morane Saulnier M.S.406 was a single seat French WW2 fighter designed to meet the 1934 "C1 design" requirement of the French Air Force for a "modern" monoplane Fighter, it was introduced in to service with the French Air Force ( Armée de l'Air) in 1938, a total of 1,176 fighter aircraft being produced. Once WW2 started, and the Battle of France began, it became obvious the Morane Saulnier-406 was totally outclassed by the German Messerschmitt Bf 109E fighter.
Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 Armament:
- Single 20 mm Hispano-Suiza HS.404 cannon
- Twin 7.5 mm MAC 1934 machine guns6
|Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 8.17 m (26 ft 9 in)
- Wingspan: 10.62 m (34 ft 10 in)
- Height: 2.71 m (8 ft 10 in)
- Wing area: 17.10 m² (184.06 ft²)
- Empty weight: 1,893 kg (4,173 lb)
- Loaded weight: 2,426 kg (5,348 lb)
- Engine: Single 640 kW (860 hp) Hispano-Suiza 12Y-31 liquid-cooled V-12 piston engine
- Maximum speed: 486 km/h (303 mph) at 5,000 m (16,400 ft)
- Range: 1,000 km (620 mi)
- Rate of climb: 13.0 m/s (2,560 ft/min)
Morane Saulnier M.S.406 Operators
Allthough the French Armée de l'Air was the main operator of the Morane Saulnier M.S.406 it was also used by the Finnish Air Force, Swiss Air Force, and the Turkish Air Force, the Swiss aircraft were built in Switzerland as the D-3800 which was re-designated with the Swiss Air Force as a trainer in 1948, it's fighter role being taken over by the P-51D Mustang, the last Swiss Air Force Morane Saulnier M.S.406 was retired from it's training role in 1959.
Terms & Limitations of Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 Picture use
This picture of a Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 WW2 Fighter Picture and Information