Picture of Polikarpov I-15 WW2 Fighter
Known as the Chaika ("Seagull") the Polikarpov I-15 was a high performance biplane fighter designed by the "King of Fighters" Nikolai Nikolaevich Polikarpov, the fighter first flew in October 1933 and when production ended a total of 3,313 aircraft had been produced, the Soviet Air Force being the prime user. Although having a good performance when built and designed by the start of WW2 the Polikarpov I-15 had effectively been made obsolete by the new cantilever mono-plane fighter designs of both the Allied and Axis air-forces, consequently the 1,000+ Polikarpov I-15 still operational were utilised in the ground attack role.
The picture above is of a Polikarpov I-15bis, this was the most numerous I-15 variant, it was fitted with a more powerful 570 kW (775 PS) Shvetsov M-25V radial piston engine and modified upper wing designed to give the pilot a less obstructed view.
Polikarpov I-15 M-22 Specifications:
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 6.10 m (20 ft)
- Wingspan: 9.75 m (32 ft)
- Height: 2.20 m (7 ft 3 in)
- Wing area: 21.9 m² (236 ft²)
- Empty weight: 1,012 kg (2,231 lb)
- Loaded weight: 1,415 kg (3,120 lb)
- Engine: Single 353 kW (473 hp) M-22 radial engine (licence built Bristol Jupiter)
- Maximum speed: 350 km/h (220 mph)
- Range: 500 km (310 mi)
- Service ceiling: 7,250 m (23,800 ft)
Polikarpov I-15 M-22 Armament:
- Four forward-firing 7.62 mm PV-1 machine guns or twin forward-firing 12.7 mm BS machine guns
- Maximum of 100 kg (220 lb) of bombs or six non-guided RS-82 rockets
Terms & Limitations of Polikarpov I-15Picture use
This picture of a Polikarpov I-15is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Polikarpov I-15picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Polikarpov I-15picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Polikarpov I-15WW2 Fighter Picture and Information