Picture of Yakovlev Yak-9 WW2 Fighter
The Yakovlev Yak-9 was designed by Alexander Sergeevich Yakovlev as a single seat fighter during WW2. The Yak-9 first flew and entered service in 1942. Performance proved to be similar to the best Luftwaffe aircraft of the time like the Messerschmitt Bf 109G and Focke-Wulf Fw 190A. 14,579 Yak-9's were produced during the war, more than any other Soviet fighter. The design was based on the existing Yak-7 but was lighter with consequently improved performance and a new cockpit gave it's pilots improved visibility in combat. The Yakovlev Yak-9 has the distinction of being the first Soviet fighter to engage and shoot down a German Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighter.
The Yakovlev Yak-9UM in the pictures on this page is an Allison V-1710 V12 powered version, and is a recently built replica by the Strela firm in Orenburg, Russia for enthusiasts with deep pockets!
Yakovlev Yak-9U Armament:
- Single 20 mm ShVAK cannon, 120 rounds
- Twin 12.7 mm UBS machine guns
|Yakovlev Yak-9U Specifications: |
- Crew: Pilot only
- Length: 28 ft 0 in (8.55 m)
- Wingspan: 31 ft 11 in (9.74 m)
- Height: 9 ft 10 in (3.00 m)
- Empty weight: 5,526 lb (2,512 kg)
- Loaded weight: 7,049 lb (3,204 kg)
- Engine: Single 1,500 hp (1,120 kW) Klimov VK-107A liquid-cooled V-12
- Maximum speed: 417 mph at altitude (672 km/h)
- Range: 420 miles (675 km)
- Service ceiling: 35,000 ft (10,650 m)
- Rate of climb: 3,280 ft/min (16.7 m/s)
Terms & Limitations of Yakovlev Yak-9 Picture use
This picture of a Yakovlev Yak-9 is Copyright © June 2014 Siteseen Ltd. We only authorise non-commercial picture use and particularly encourage their use for educational purposes. This Yakovlev Yak-9 picture is not in the Public Domain.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three individual pictures shall be used on any given URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of this Yakovlev Yak-9 picture, or any of our pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
Yakovlev Yak-9 WW2 Fighter Picture and Information