North American P-64 Military Trainer Aircraft
North American Aviation initially built the NA-68 as a low cost export fighter but it's relatively poor performance lead to very few orders and when they received an order for six two seat aircraft for the Royal Thai Air Force they were seized by the US government and pressed into USAAF service as P-64 unarmed fighter pilot trainers. The only other military operator of the type was the Peruvian Air Force who used seven NA-50 Torito's in a ground support role during the 1941 Ecuadorian-Peruvian War, they remained operational until 1950
- Crew: One of two depending on the variant
- Length: 27 ft (8.23 m)
- Wingspan: 37 ft 3 in (11.35 m)
- Height: 19 ft 8 in (5.99 m)
- Empty weight: 4,660 lb (2,114 kg)
- Loaded weight: 5,990 lb (2,717 kg)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 6,800 lb (3,080 kg)
- Engine: Single 870 hp (649 kW) Wright R-1820-77 radial engine
- Maximum speed: 270 mph (435 km/h) at 8,700 ft (2,650 m)
- Range: 965 mi (1,550 km)
- Service ceiling: 27,500 ft (8,400 m)
- Twin .30 in (7.62 mm) machine guns
- Twin 20 mm cannons
- Up to 400 lb (180 kg) of bombs
Terms & Limitations of North American P-64 Picture use
This picture of a North American P-64 has been digitally re-mastered from a USAF picture and they should be credited wherever it is used. We only authorise non-commercial use of the information on this page and we particularly encourage it's use for educational purposes.
Limitations of use:
1) Siteseen Ltd. must be credited as the copyright holders wherever our copyrighted pictures or content are used.
2) For internet use, no more than three of our copyrighted pictures shall be used on any URL or website and a link back to this site must be provided.
3) Use of any of our own copyrighted pictures on websites re-distributing copyright free material is strictly prohibited.
Need more Information? - Visit our copyright page via our main index
North American P-64 Military Trainer Plane Picture and Information